Date: Friday, November 20
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Location: People’s Resource Center, 201 S. Naperville Road, Wheaton Illinois
Meeting Type: Regular Meeting
How Called: Standing meeting
Attendees: Barry, Maryanna, Katherine
Approval of minutes.
1.2 New business
- Trip Report: Partnership for Progress on the Digital Divide 2015
- Maryanna brought back two copies of the conference material and discussed the highlights. Details will be in the November Newsletter.
- Connected with Bill Callahan, Connect Your Community
- Connected with Tom Koutsky, Connected Nation
- Presentation went well with 20 people which was a good number especially being the last presentation on the last day.
- Trip Report: Electronics Reuse Conference
- Details will be in November Newsletter.
- Mostly practioners of refurbishing businesses. Connected with a company in Houston that gives away computers to first graders. They’re interested in data which may connect with the earlier conference.
- Material is available here.
- We can start collecting information on Apple products and tablets for how to give away these items to people. As businesses use tablets more, they will upgrade and so there will be a potential source.
1.3 Action Items Closed
- Closed Nov 2015 – Opened Oct 2015 – Maryanna will report at the next meeting on PRC’s strategic plan, including sharing the PRC 3-year plan and the process of creating it. We discussed on 11/20/15 about the process. They did SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) analysis with a group of volunteers, a group of employees. They came up with 3 strategic priorities and plans for how they would be addressed over the next 3 years.
- Closed November 2015 – Opened Sept 2015. Firm up plans for partner visits in November. – Barry & Katherine, Tallahasee going, Birmingham not. Barry will contact potential Tallahasee partner, Lutheran Social Services of North Florida. Complete October 2015
- Closed November 2015 Opened Sept 2015 http://www.connectednation.org/ we all should sample at least 3 classes. The link is http://www.driveyourlearning.org/ Barry reviewed several. Many courses are from other reputable sites (gcflearnfree, ebay on using ebay, etc.) We all sampled three classes. Word 1, Linked In, Citizenship, PinInterest, PHP (Web development), Gmail,
Computer Basics, Taxes 101, Linked In Basics
Discovered if you have a quiz, you get a badge, which is motivating, although the quizzes should reinforce the important concepts of the class. Overview was good. Barry updated his class,
but those updates didn’t go in, and now the videos don’t play,and it looks fine now. Anything else before we recommend this? No, but we may want a bit of followup if time allows.
- Closed November 2015 Opened Sept 2015 Measuring Impact working group at the November conference – further follow-up request sent. No response received. Barry will follow up shortly before the conference, and we’ll look for these people at the conference.
- Update October 29: Sent email to Jeff at Good Tech America
- Update October 30: Heard back from Jeff- maybe next year
1.4 Action Item Status Updates – open ones
- Walking through Action Item List and noting updates
- Ted Lind will notify Barry of updates to PRC class material so Barry can update the web information that is publicly available.
Action Item status as of 11/20/15
- Opened Sept 2015. Write-up how to access grant Database for C.O.D. – Barry Started Draft 8 Oct 2015. Can do a little offsite, but will need to go to COD to test out procedures.
- Opened Sept 2015. White paper on Origin Stories of our partners. All, Sent email to partners in mid September asking for input by Oct 6th. Maryanna: PRC,Human IT, Ed Tech Katherine: Net Literacy, Masonic Angels Foundation, Inc. Laptops for Kidz, Barry: Learning to be the Light,Community Computer Connection, Computers to SD, Techboomers, Computers 4 Kids
- Update – Barry talked with Learning to Be the Light and transcribed notes
- Update: 10/21/15 – Katherine received response from the Masonic Angels Foundation and included in source document.
- Update: 10/27/15 – After Katherine set it up, Barry talked with Net Literacy and transcribed notes.
- Barry invited new partners to respond
- Barry met with C3, followed up via email
- Barry followed up via email with C2SDK, Computers 4 Kids
- 11/18 Barry incorporated responses from TechBoomers into collection of notes
- Maryanna emailed EdTech, no reply. Will follow up.
- Maryanna will type up stuff about PRC.
- Maryanna talked with Human IT, will type up notes.
- Opened Oct 2015 – Revise home page for PBDD, to make the GuideStar logo higher, and have it less cluttered. Katherine
- Opened Oct 2015 – start a plan for the strategic plan. “We’re too young to have a long-term plan.” Investigate other nonprofits, determine how long to plan for, five years seems too long right now. PRC does a three-year plan. Start thinking about what the plan for the plan is, which may be to start collecting information, discussing with people. Our plan for now is to spend a year gathering information on where we might be most useful.
- Opened Sept 2015 Sharing PRC course materials & procedures – Maryanna will check with PRC about linking to https://pbdd.org/peoples-resource-center-training-material/ so people who aren’t instructors, can find the material. Place this on the bottom of Computer training page, put a link to the material on pbdd. “If you’d like to examine our training material in more detail, please click on our Partner PBDD link at: https://pbdd.org/peoples-resource-center-training-material/
- Opened Sept 2015 http://www.peoplesrc.org/our-partners – Katherine write a blurb about PBDD like the ones that are there and give to Maryanna.
- Opened Sept 2015 http://www.peoplesrc.org/our-partners – Maryanna talk to development about getting a writeup on the partner spotlight page.
- Opened Sept 2015 Contact Milwaukee public library for sharing training information, etc. – Barry – Left message for Stephanie Robinson (Public Computer Training Coordinator) 9/22. Barry will attempt to sign up for an online course, and if that doesn’t work, Katherine will contact a Milwaukee resident and ask him to try to take a training course and see what he finds out that he can share.
- Opened Oct 2015. Where and how are public libraries coordinating their computer courses? Maryanna.
- Update, Barry talked with a few people at PRC partners breakfast, and followed up with Wheaton in person.
- 11/20/15 update – Maryanna has connected Mary Blair with a Google group of librarian who teach technology in the libraries. ADD LINK
- Opened Sept 2015 When John Victor and team finishes the PRC Refurbishing Overview document, use that as a base for a overview document for the PBDD website. Maryanna stays responsible until the document is available, and maybe including editing it.
- Opened Sept 2015 Sharing PRC videos are on YouTube. Barry will add links as they come out. Ongoing. Up to date as of 10/9/15.
- Update October 29: Added Geocaching & Security
- Opened October 2015 – Maryanna will asks http://www.driveyourlearning.org/ about being able to see the quiz results, and the approval for GED class.
- Opened October 2015 – Katherine will figure out how easy it is to go back into a long course ats http://www.driveyourlearning.org/ , hosted by someone else.
- Opened Sept 2015 Review volunteer information and updated at https://pbdd.org/volunteering_time/— time estimates, further refinement, additions – all. November update – Maryanna’s suggestions.
- Opened Sept 2015 Add Calendar-based action items (tax filings, etc.) to action item list – Barry
- Opened Nov 18 2015: Update PRC course material on PBDD website, to reflect updates by Ted Lind – Barry
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Maryanna will type up presentation notes and conference highlights for trip report.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Maryanna will follow up with Angela about Practioner’s Conference.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Maryanna will connect with Tom from Connected Nations about visiting PRC.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Barry will contact CompuDopt in Houston about the giving away of computers to first graders. Possibly linking them with someone from Academia to give the data he was looking for.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Katherine will draft a short note about how to refurbish Apple products and that the software is allowed to be used by whoever has the hardware just to get that conversation started.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Katherine will draft information for the trip report on PPDD from the schedule information.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Barry will contact Mike Buckles of TechNoCycle about partnering.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Will keep an eye out for conferences. PPDD is every 2 years, Electronics is yearly but location unknown. Others? Including local ones.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Barry will check on getting back a written partner agreement from Lutheran Social Services of North Florida.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Think about a best-practices in grant writing white paper, including which ones not to apply to.
1.5 Information Sharing
- Partner Status update: Added Computers 4 Kids, Tech Boomers, Conversations with Connected Nation (Email setup class corrected. 21 completed , 98 enrolled), Lutheran Social Services of North Florida, they wanted a written partner agreement. Barry drafted something and sent it to them.
- Website Updates
Changes to Training Resources page
- Update on Finances – we’re in the green
- Logo- offer to design from Tech Boomer’s contact
1.6 Time and Location for next meeting –
December meeting – December 11 @ 10:00 followed by end of year lunch.
Note, meetings will be scheduled for 1.5 hours from now on.
1.6 Adjourn –