Time: 9:30 a.m.
Location: People’s Resource Center, 201 S. Naperville Road, Wheaton Illinois
Meeting Type: Regular Meeting
How Called: Standing meeting
Attendees: Barry, Maryanna, Katherine
Approval of February minutes
2 New Business
- Election of Officers – Slate accepted and motion passed. Barry Glicklich is President and Treasurer. Maryanna Milton is Vice-President. Katherine Lato is VP-Communications and Secretary.
- Approval of Financial Statements for prior year (March 2015 through February 2016) – motion to approve, seconded, and passed.
- Affirmation of Conflict of Interest Policy by officers (in accordance with By-Laws, Article 9, section 6) – signed by all elected officers.
3 Action Items Closed
Closed since last meeting.
- Closed 3/4/16. Opened Sept 2015 Review volunteer information and updated at https://pbdd.org/volunteering_time/— time estimates, further refinement, additions – all. November update – Maryanna’s suggestions. December update. Put volunteer ideas into a table to show at a glance long-term, short-term, etc. Answering questions, how much time? Where? Short-term or long-term. Katherine will update web page.
- Closed Feb 12, 2016 – Opened Nov 20 2015 Maryanna will follow up with Angela about Practioner’s Conference via phone. There is a conference in the works with a practioner’s focus that Barry is participating in. Maryanna will join. This will be incorporated as part of the Net Inclusion.
- Closed Feb 12, 2016 – Opened Nov 20 2015 Maryanna will connect with Tom from Connected Nations about visiting PRC. Sent email Dec 1, followed up, no response.
- Closed 3/11/16. Opened Feb 22, 2016. Post volunteer opportunities on VolunteerMatch. After discussion, this should wait until once we have a strategic plan and a clear set of things that we need help with.
- Closed 3/4/16 – done. Opened 3/3/16 – add a plugin to track activity at the website, for security.
4 Action Item Status Updates
Walking through Action Item List and noting status as of 3/11/16:
- Opened Sept 2015. Write-up how to access grant Database for C.O.D. – Barry Started Draft 8 Oct 2015. Went to COD on March 9th and drafted a procedure. Will review it and have it linked on our volunteer page. Later may generalize it and link to it for partners.
- Opened Sept 2015. White paper on Origin Stories of our partners. All, Sent email to partners in mid September asking for input by Oct 6th. We divided up non-responses at October board meeting and followed up. As we add new partners, we are asking for their origin stories. Will not include people who don’t reply to two attempts.
- As of Dec 11th, we’ve heard from: Learning to be the Light, Masonic Angels Foundation (Laptop for Kids), NetLiteracy, TechBoomers, PRC, HumanIT, LSSNF (via interview) and CompuDopt.
- Will continue to accept input until second draft.
- Response received from Ed Tech 15 December
- Our Children LA received January 4
- First draft was developed at the January board meeting and shared subsequently with board members via google docs.
- Sent Intro & Appendix excerpts out Jan 22. Responses tracked in Google Doc
- Board members will add specific items to illustrate themes with Maryanna taking Volunteers, Barry taking Misc, and Katherine reviewing the other categories by 2/19.
- Feb 22, Barry sent an email to each partner with full draft asking for feedback by mid-March. Updates & status of responses being tracked in Google Doc
- March 11: Got feedback from a number, will get more. Then one last review by all board members and then send it to partners and place on website.
- Opened Sept 2015, update 3/4/16. Contact Milwaukee public library for sharing training information, etc. – Barry – Left message for Stephanie Robinson (Public Computer Training Coordinator) 9/22. The thought was that Barry will attempt to sign up for an online course, and if that doesn’t work, Katherine will contact a Milwaukee resident and ask him to try to take a training course and see what he finds out that he can share, but registration for spring courses ended 2/14/16. Information is available at: http://www.mpl.org/content/pdfs/2016_ComputerClasses_Spring.pdf Turns out there aren’t online courses. Need to find someone from the Milwaukee library who is interested in looking at our material. Barry will call the Library Director’s Office at (414) 286-3021, and try to set up a meeting for April.
- Opened Sept 2015 When John Victor and team finishes the PRC Refurbishing Overview document, use that as a base for a overview document for the PBDD website. Maryanna has a copy of it. Katherine will convert from a flowcart to a list and share with board members
- Ongoing (not expected to close) – Sharing PRC videos on YouTube. Barry will add links as they come out. Opened Sept 2015. Videos up to date as of 3/9/16
- Ongoing (i.e. not expected to close – Tracking the following annually recurring items:
- IRS Form 990 (or 990-EZ or 990-N) due July 15
- Send completed filed 990 form to Guidestar
- Illinois AG requires AG990-IL for previous fiscal year due 8/31
- Board-approved budget for next year (Due before 2/28)
- Corporate Annual Report with IL Secretary of State (by March
- Election of officers for coming year (Regular meeting in March)
- Annual statement by officers, etc. acknowledging Conflict of Interest policy (Regular meeting in March)
- Renew Web Hosting (current contract expires Jan 17, 2019)
- Renew pbdd.org Domain (current lease expires Jan 15, 2021)
- Opened Nov 20 2015 – This is about all non-Windows hardware. It started with Katherine drafting a short note about how to refurbish Apple products and that the software is allowed to be used by whoever has the hardware just to get that conversation started. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oq8ghYlq3evbPf5ZPq-Y4Ef_92oYBWNZkpkYmpwR3L8/edit Think about tablets and having a system to accept them. Where this relates is to have a plan, maybe even a pilot project, to accept donated non-Windows machines.
- Ongoing – Keep an eye out for conferences. PPDD is every 2 years, Track them here, including any material published after the conference. Opened Nov 20 2015, not expected to close although the specifics will change.
- Nonprofit Technology Conference March 23-25, 2016 • San Jose, California www.nten.org/ntc
- Net Inclusion 2016 May 18-19. Barry is on the planning committee http://www.digitalinclusionalliance.org/netinclusion2016/
- ReuseConex 2016, 4th International Reuse Conference & Expo ; When: October 17-18, 2016; Holiday Inn Boston Bunker Hill, Boston, MA; http://reuseconex.org
- Electronics Reuse Conference, October 24-26 2016, Houston, TX https://www.ereuseconference.com
- Digital Equity Learning February 2016 in Washington DC. http://digitalequityforlearning.org/
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Think about a best-practices in grant writing white paper, including which ones not to apply to. Will get to this after current white paper. Accessing the grant directory instructions may be an appendix to the paper once we write the paper.
- Opened Dec 11 2015. Barry will delete items from media that aren’t needed to see if that helps with uploading pictures. Problem was related to WordPress update. Resolved without deleting files, but should probably delete files that aren’t needed.
- Opened Dec 11 2015. Barry will explore grant funding for the Bridging Partner Summit. Maryanna will talk with Angela from NDIA, who was on board for a practioner’s conference if that is in line. Maryanna will ask her about grant funding possibilities. Also should consider having corporate sponsors. Could consider a go-fund me as well, targeting a different base. Barry will look into filling out a grant application.
- Opened Feb 12 2016. Katherine will look at the training pages and initiatives page–and maybe break out the training so it’s easier to find specific things. She will consult with Barry.
- Opened Feb 29: Barry should solicit new partners from NDIA member ranks, other organizations encountered.
- Opened March 11: Install a map plugin, GPS Visualizer and start exploring how to use it. Map of partner agencies, refurbishers. http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
- Opened March 11: Explore everyoneon.org and figure out how to add it to our resources–note, it’s not about free computers.
5 Information Sharing
- Partner Status – new partner Independence First, Barry met with them in Feb. https://www.independencefirst.org/home, looking at training, had been more focused on equipment
- Net Inclusion Conference – Maryanna is on the committee. Barry and Katherine are going. There is a National Digital Day of Inclusion. PRC is participating.
- Indiana University Research Project – PRC talked with two professors, School of Media and Anthropology. Will probably come to PRC in April. Hope to interview 35 people. Note this came from conference interaction. An example of how that can be useful.
- Website Updates – New logo thanks to Steve at TechBoomers. Volunteer page updated, white paper topics.
- White Paper Status – getting good feedback. Expect to release it in a month.
6 Time and Location for next meeting –
Next meeting – April 8 @ 9:30
7 Adjourn –