Time: 10:00 a.m.
Location: People’s Resource Center, 201 S. Naperville Road, Wheaton Illinois
Meeting Type: Regular Meeting
How Called: Standing meeting
Attendees: Barry, Maryanna, Katherine
Approval of minutes.
1.2 New business
- Finances Update – $300 extra due to credit card used for Electronics Reuse Conference had a special offer that we qualified for. Barry moves that we use some of this money to pay for web site hosting for several years, looking into having emails through the doman as well. Katherine seconded this. Passed.
1.3 Action Items Closed
- Closed Nov 22 2015 – Opened Oct 2015 – Revise home page for PBDD, to make the GuideStar logo higher, and have it less cluttered. Katherine
- Closed Nov 22 2015 – Opened Sept 2015 http://www.peoplesrc.org/our-partners – Katherine write a blurb about PBDD like the ones that are there and give to Maryanna.
- Closed Nov 22 2015 – Opened Nov 18 2015: Update PRC course material on PBDD website, to reflect updates by Ted Lind. Up to Date as of 22 Nov.
- Closed Dec 2 2015 – Opened Nov 20 2015 Barry will contact CompuDopt in Houston about the giving away of computers. Email sent 23 Nov, Response received Dec 1. Partner added Dec 2.
- Closed Dec 2 2015 – Opened Nov 20 2015 Barry will contact Mike Buckles of TechNoCycle about partnering. – email sent 23 Nov. Response received Nov 25. Partner added Dec 2.
- Closed Dec 2 2015 Opened Nov 20 2015 Barry will check on getting back a written partner agreement from Lutheran Social Services of North Florida. Follow up sent Dec2. Partner added Dec 2. Note, we now have a template for a partner agreement if anyone else requires it.
- Closed Dec 11 2015 – Opened Oct 2015 – start a plan for the strategic plan. “We’re too young to have a long-term plan.” Investigate other nonprofits, determine how long to plan for, five years seems too long right now. PRC does a three-year plan. Start thinking about what the plan for the plan is, which may be to start collecting information, discussing with people. Our plan for now is to spend a year gathering information on where we might be most useful.
- Closed Dec 11 2015 – Opened Sept 2015 Sharing PRC course materials & procedures – Maryanna will check with PRC about linking to http://pbdd.org/peoples-resource-center-training-material/ so people who aren’t instructors, can find the material. Place this on the bottom of Computer training page, put a link to the material on pbdd. “If you’d like to examine our training material in more detail, please click on our Partner PBDD link at: http://pbdd.org/peoples-resource-center-training-material/
- Closed Dec 11 2015 – Closed Dec 11 2015 – Opened October 2015 – Maryanna will asks http://www.driveyourlearning.org/ about being able to see the quiz results, and the approval for GED class. We’re already recommending the site.
- Closed Dec 11 2015 – Opened October 2015 – Katherine will figure out how easy it is to go back into a long course ats http://www.driveyourlearning.org/ , hosted by someone else. We’re already recommending the site.
- Closed December 11 2015 Opened Sept 2015 Add Calendar-based action items (tax filings, etc.) to action item list – Barry.
- Closed Dec 11 2015 – Opened Nov 20 2015 Maryanna will type up presentation notes and conference highlights for trip report and send picture.
1.4 Action Item Status Snapshot
- Opened Sept 2015. Write-up how to access grant Database for C.O.D. – Barry Started Draft 8 Oct 2015. Can do a little offsite, but will need to go to COD to test out procedures.
- Opened Sept 2015. White paper on Origin Stories of our partners. All, Sent email to partners in mid September asking for input by Oct 6th. We divided up non-responses at October board meeting and followed up. As we add new partners, we are asking for their origin stories. Will not include people who don’t reply to two attempts.
- As of Dec 11th, we’ve heard from: Learning to be the Light, Masonic Angels Foundation (Laptop for Kids), NetLiteracy, TechBoomers, PRC, HumanIT and CompuDopt.
- Will continue to accept input until second draft.
- First draft will be developed at the January board meeting via google docs.
- Opened Sept 2015 http://www.peoplesrc.org/our-partners – Maryanna talk to development about getting a writeup on the partner spotlight page.
- Opened Sept 2015 Contact Milwaukee public library for sharing training information, etc. – Barry – Left message for Stephanie Robinson (Public Computer Training Coordinator) 9/22. Barry will attempt to sign up for an online course, and if that doesn’t work, Katherine will contact a Milwaukee resident and ask him to try to take a training course and see what he finds out that he can share.
- Opened Oct 2015. Where and how are public libraries coordinating their computer courses? Maryanna.
- Update, Barry talked with a few people at PRC partners breakfast, and followed up with Wheaton in person.
- 11/20/15 update – Maryanna has connected Mary Blair with a Google group of librarian who teach technology in the libraries. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/teachtechnology
- Maryanna will ask Mary Blair if there is publicly available training material that we can point to from our web site.
- Opened Sept 2015 When John Victor and team finishes the PRC Refurbishing Overview document, use that as a base for a overview document for the PBDD website. Maryanna will ask for a copy of it, and maybe pass it on to Katherine for editing. Updated Dec, 2015.
- Ongoing (not expected to close) – Sharing PRC videos are on YouTube. Barry will add links as they come out. Opened Sept 2015. Up to date as of 12/8/15.
- Closed Dec 11 2015 – Opened October 2015 – Maryanna will asks http://www.driveyourlearning.org/ about being able to see the quiz results, and the approval for GED class. We’re already recommending the site.
- Opened Sept 2015 Review volunteer information and updated at http://pbdd.org/volunteering_time/— time estimates, further refinement, additions – all. November update – Maryanna’s suggestions. December update. Put volunteer ideas into a table to show at a glance long-term, short-term, etc. Answering questions, how much time? Where? Short-term or long-term. Katherine will update web page.
- Ongoing (i.e. not expected to close – Tracking the following annually recurring items:
- Renew Domain & Web Hosting (current lease expires Jan 15, 2016)
- Board-approved budget for next year (Due before 2/28/CurrentFiscalYear)
- Election of officers for coming year (Regular meeting in March)
- Annual statement by officers, etc. acknowledging Conflict of Interest policy (Regular meeting in March)
- IRS Form 990 (or 990-EZ or 990-N) due July 15
- Illinois AG requires AG990-IL for previous fiscal year due 8/31
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Maryanna will follow up with Angela about Practioner’s Conference via phone.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Maryanna will connect with Tom from Connected Nations about visiting PRC. Sent email Dec 1
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Katherine will draft a short note about how to refurbish Apple products and that the software is allowed to be used by whoever has the hardware just to get that conversation started.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Katherine drafted information for the trip report on PPDD from the schedule information. Will release with picture.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Will keep an eye out for conferences. PPDD is every 2 years, Electronics is yearly but location unknown. Others? Including local ones.
- Opened Nov 20 2015 Think about a best-practices in grant writing white paper, including which ones not to apply to.
- Opened Dec 11 2015. Barry will run the template-agreement by a lawyer in anticipation of our posting it on our website. (If not the one we used before, we can contact Gail Kalinch.
- Opened Dec 11 2015. Barry will delete items from media that aren’t needed to see if that helps with uploading pictures.
- Opened Dec 11 2015. Katherine will write a partner profile for Luthern Social Services of North Florida. (We visited them in November.)
- Opened Dec 11 2015. Barry will explore grant funding for the Bridging Partner Summit. Maryanna will talk with Angela from NDIA, who was on board for a practioner’s conference if that is in line. Maryanna will ask her about grant funding possibilities. Also should consider having corporate sponsors. Could consider a go-fund me as well, targeting a different base.
1.6 Information Sharing
- Partner Status update: Added CompUDopt, TechnoCycle, Lutheran Social Services of North Florida. Conversation with Our Children LA
- Website Updates
Changes to Training Resources page,
1.7 Time and Location for next meeting –
January meeting – January 15 @ 9:30 – instead of going through normal agenda, will draft white paper on origin stories.
1.6 Adjourn –